Motorized / Automated Blinds
Shade Works Window Fashions and Lutron Electronics
Whether you are looking to automate a single blind or integrating multiple ones into a smart home system, Shade Works WF carries products across all categories to suit your needs and fit your budget. Electric or automated blinds can be a great addition to your smart home, but there are several important factors to consider before making a purchase.
Important factors to consider before choosing the right system for you
- Integration and Features: Majority of the motorized blinds will be able to integrate with system such as the Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and Apple Homekit, but not all blinds! Make sure you check if you are looking to integrate with your smart devices. Features range between different manufacturers, but main ones such as scenes and scheduling are all readily available across the market.
- Performance and Battery Life: Automatic blinds will differentiate with respect to overall noise and battery life. Ranging from silent to a slight buzz, or from 2 years to 6 years before changing or charging batteries, make sure to ask these questions and choose the right motors to fit your needs and budget.
- Power source: How will you supply power to the electric blinds? Will they be hard wired or battery powered? Pulling wires to establish a hard wired connection is an initial investment with long term benefits. However, if you are not in the new build phase and you are looking to retrofit your current windows with automation, the battery powered solution has its benefits as well.
- Warranty: As with any electrical device, it is important to check for the warranty length provided by manufacturers. An important note here is to clarify the warranty for the motor and automated parts, compared to the blind fabric and hardware.
Lutron Serena Automated Roller and Honeycomb Shades
- Lutron Electronics is a well established, industry leader in the motorized blinds world. They have over 50 years of experience in lighting, shading and temperature control. All products are produced in North America and come standard with an 8 year warranty on its motors.
- Serena Roller and Honeycomb Shades, from Lutron, are great products to consider when shopping for remote control blinds. These shades are amongst the quietest in the industry, even when battery powered. At a sound level of less than 44 dBA from 3 feet away, they are the same sound level as a quiet room or library.
- Lutron’s Caseta App allows you to integrate your shades with the Apple Homekit, Google Home, and Amazon Alexa. This intuitive app allows you to not only set schedules and scenes for your blinds through the convenience of your mobile device, but also allows you to control your shades from anywhere in the world.
- Lutron Serena Shades can be hard wired or battery powered. If battery powered, each shade required 6-8 D cell batteries, depending on the width. Battery life is heavily dependant on usage, but based on operating a shade twice a day, you can expect battery life of roughly 3-6 years. Furthermore, changing the batteries is very simple and does not require any tools.
Measuring and Installing
- Measuring and installing motorized blinds can be a very easy task, as long as you follow all of the necessary rules and direction.
- If you are looking to measure and install yourself, both Shade Works and Lutron offer very instructive and informative measuring and installation videos on their Youtube account. In addition, Lutron will provide a complete installation guide with all of its shades.
- Shade Works is able to provide professional measure and installation in the Toronto and Vancouver areas. Measure and installation services are also available in other cities through a third party company through a partnership with Shade Works.
Shade Works did a very professional job in our brand new home. They were extremely knowledgeable with not only the Lutron system, but the fabrics as well, making it such an easy and enjoyable experience. They even helped to set up control of the shades through our smart phones! We really appreciated the attention to detail and outstanding service. Highly recommend Shade Works!
Melissa J. – Toronto, ON
Available in Roller and Honeycomb Shades, your Lutron shading system will help save you additional energy beyond the use of a “regular” window treatment. With the ability to customize the timing of the opening and closing of your shades, open your shades during the sunny days of winter or close them in the summer to minimize your heating and cooling costs. Furthermore, all Lutron fabrics are made from sustainable materials that are environmentally friendly and energy saving.